Are you vegetarian or vegan (or interested trying it out? Veg-curious, as it were?)
Because really, there’s a zillion great reasons to try going veggie.
- It’s delicious!
- It’s cheaper (often by a lot)
- You’ll feel better because you’ll be healthier (lots of great vitamins and minerals and antioxidants and less fats and cholesterols)
- Shopping Veggie is far easier on the planet (raising meat uses about 30% of the earth’s ice-free land and uses 1/3 of the earth’s clean water, among other frightening statistics)
- It’s also far easier on the animals (obviously)
- It’s also easier for YOU (less need to worry about certain kinds of contaminations on meats and animal products, although you do still need to take care storing and handling food)
- It forces you outside of your box and brings you to new recipes and combinations and blends, broadening your food horizons and taking you on new culinary adventures.
.. the list goes on!
But sometimes, especially if you’ve been raised eating meat as a staple your whole life, it’s hard to know where to start. What is a main course, if not steak? Well, here’s a great resource for you: The Toronto Vegetarian Association. This fab resource has put together a vast selection of information including a list of vegetarian and vegan restaurants and cafes, grocery stores, bakeries, yoga studios and more. There’s also a selection of wonderful veggie recipes, in case you’re at loose ends for where to start.
One of my favourite features is their 7 Day Veggie Challenge. Sign up to cook vegetarian for just one week, and they’ll send you information on Veggie-friendly restaurants, tips for shopping and meal prep, where to get dietary needs like protein and iron on a veggie diet, recipes and meal plans and lots more.
And, you can even sign up for one of their Toronto Veg Cards. The card will give you access to exclusive vegetarian deals and discounts, events and more. Just make a donation to the Toronto Vegetarian Association, and you’re in!
Have you gone, or are you thinking of going vegetarian or vegan? What’s been your experience? Share in the comments!